Congratulations to the following 2013-2014 Tsai Family Research Fund for Taiwan Studies award recipients. Through a generous donation by the Tsai Family, this award supports undergraduate, graduate, and faculty study and research on Taiwan.
- Jacques Hymans, Associate Professor of International Relations: Research on Taiwanese banknote iconography.
- Daniel Lynch, Associate Professor of International Relations: Research on Taiwan’s strategic shift related to China.
- Andrew Simpson, Professor of Linguistics: Present paper on the grammar of questions and answers in Mandarin Chinese at the 8th international workshop on Theoretical East Asian Linguistics in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Tin-Yu Tseng, Lecturer of East Asian Languages and Cultures: Develop new advanced language/culture Chinese course at USC tentatively entitled “Chinese through Theater and Drama.”
- Aaron Walker, Lecturer of American Studies: Compile collection of personal narratives from elderly Taiwanese citizens who lived through the Japanese occupation of Taiwan.
- Yi-Hsien Walker, Lecturer of East Asian Languages and Cultures: Compile new generation’s Taiwanese-Mandarin spoken language corpus.
- Li-Ping Chen, Comparative Studies in Literature and Culture: Present conference paper and conduct research in Taiwan on Japanese settler colonialism.
- Li-Hao Chu, Pharmaceutical Economics & Policy: Conduct study at Kaohsiung Medical School on rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- Yu-Kang Fan, Sociology: Research on transnational organization of elder care in Taipei and rural areas of Taiwan.
- Tse-Min Fu, Political Science and International Relations: Research on Taiwan’s grand strategy towards China with a focus on military spending.
- Peter Guekguezian, Linguistics: Research on an endangered Taiwanese language, Saisiyat, at National Tsing Hua University in Hsinchu, Taiwan.
- Joshua Hsieh, Film Production: Research on concurrent trends in Taiwanese film industry towards and away from co-production with China.
- Jenneille Hsu, Public Policy and Management: Research on Taiwan’s renewable energy policy and development and present results at 12th Hawaii International Conference on Social Science and 32nd International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) North American Conference.
- Yuyun Wang, East Asian Languages and Cultures: Research on Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese Southern Min at Academia Sinica and National Tsing Hua University.
- Mingmin Yang, Political Science and International Relations: Research on Taiwan FTA policy at Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research.
- Sarah Chang, Piano Performance: Participate in EALC Chinese summer language program at National Taiwan University.
- Kristina Chiu, Biology and EALC: Participate in EALC Chinese summer language program at National Taiwan University.
- Joseph Krassenstein, Print Journalism and EALC: Participate in EALC Chinese summer language program at National Taiwan University.
- Jennifer Marr, International Relations (Global Business) and EALC: Participate in EALC Chinese summer language program at National Taiwan University.
- Marisa Tsai, International Relations: Conduct research project on US arms sales to Taiwan as intern at International Affairs department of Taiwan Think Tank.
- Tina Tzeng, Business Administration: Participate in EALC Chinese summer language program at National Taiwan University.